Thursday, May 10, 2012

Short Story Month: Stories from Willow Springs

Sarah Hulse
Matt Bell

Diane Lefer
Apparently, May is short story month. Maybe it's that I'm no longer in an MFA program and thus not in on these things, but I haven't heard much about it--not even on my writer-saturated Facebook feed. I guess I get it. It's not like NaNoWriMo, where people challenge themselves to write 50,000 words in thirty days, or even National Poetry Month (April) when at least a few poets I know (and me, this year, though I failed miserably) attempt to write a poem a day. You could write a piece of flash or micro fiction every day for a month, I suppose, or attempt to write a whole collection of stories if you wanted to mimic November's word count goals, but more likely you'd take the opportunity to write a single story in a month. Which isn't such a monumental, brag-worthy feat.

Except the poets and the novelists aren't expected to have finished products at month's end. A story would have to be completely finished, wouldn't it? And though I've written many stories in under a month, it always seems like six months later I have a flash of inspiration and go change them. Maybe that's just me.


Anyway.

There are a lot of good short stories out there. A lot of great ones. But here are three of my favorites, all web-accessible published by Willow Springs.

"The Receiving Tower" by Matt Bell

"Sin-Tra-La!" by Diane Lefer

"Sine Die" by Sarah Hulse

No comments:

Post a Comment