Thursday, June 14, 2012

Writing Exercise: The Action of a Sentence

I've never read any of Natalie Goldberg's fiction, but I've read Writing Down the Bones several times. She's always good for a word of encouragement, tips on how to keep a good work ethic, and writing exercises. One of my favorites, when I'm feeling like my language is a little dull, is on page 87 of her lovely book. She says:

Fold a sheet of paper in half the long way. On the left side of the page list ten nouns. Any ten.
Okay:

sheet
music
carriage
fan
lace
pom pom
husband
trap
mermaid
blossom

Now turn the paper over to the right column. Think of an occupation...List fifteen verbs on the right half of the page that go with that position.
Teacher:
speak
grade
discuss
listen
type
write
assess
scold
inspire
bore
pace
scribble
edit
advise
pontificate



Open the page...Try joining the nouns with the verbs to see what new combinations you can get, and then finish the sentences, casting the verbs in the past tense if you need to.
 So:
The music typed its notes on the air.
Mermaids advised the sailors with their songs.
The blossoms scolded me with their harsh colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment